Ear Pinning Surgery | Newport Beach, CA
Cosmetic Surgery for Ears
Ear reshaping surgery flattens and contours cartilage, creating a more balanced and aesthetic
appearance. Our otoplasty procedure allows Dr. Zarrabi to permanently improve the curve of the ear by altering the amount, thickness, or shape of the cartilage. At Zarrabi MD, Facial Cosmetic and Maxillo-Facial Surgery, you (or your child) can expect natural-looking and adequetly-sized and shaped ears that flatter your head and face.
What is otoplasty?
Otoplasty is an ear surgery that corrects protruding ears, abnormally large earlobes, lop ear, and shell ear. Lop ear is a condition in which the top folds down and trends forward. Shell ear is when certain features of a normal ear are missing.
Benefits of Ear Surgery
- Mends congenital deformities
- Corrects ear position
- Increases self-confidence
Am I a good candidate for ear surgery?
Consulting with Dr. Zarrabi is the best way to decide if ear surgery is for you or your child, but if you are self-conscious about your ears, otoplasty is a proper solution. If your ears don’t bother you, we don’t recommend you consider otoplasty since cosmetic surgery is about
helping you feel more comfortable with your appearance.
The Procedure – What to Expect
The process of surgically improving your ear shape, size, or location depends on what needs
to be done. Dr. Zarrabi may remove cartilage, or he may fold and stitch cartilage. He begins
by making a small incision at the back of your ear which provides him access to the cartilage.
When he has finished, he stitches the small cut closed. Dr. Zarrabi’s uses a very specific
suturing technique to recreate the natural curve of the ear cartilage.
Ear Surgery Aftercare
- Find a balance between resting and not staying in bed continuously.
- Protect you pillows and sheets from your incision which will ooze for a day or two.
- You may take a cool shower the day after surgery. Be gentle as you reapply the head
- Continue to wear a loose-fitting head band at night for 6 weeks.
- Take care to finish your antibiotic prescription.
- Limit activity the first week, and refrain from strenuous activity and weight loss diets
the first 3 weeks. Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Do not bend forward for a few weeks.
- Do not smoke.
- Do not use products with aspirin. Tylenol is okay.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight for 6 weeks
Dr. Zarrabi finds great pleasure in the powerful results of otoplasty because of the relief and ease it brings both children and adults. Rather than a focus on aesthetics and a more youthful look which is the goal of most cosmetic surgeries, Dr. Zarrabi aims to make your ear less noticeable.
Dr. Zarrabi believes that the best way to begin your journey to better ears is to begin with a consultation in our Newport Beach, CA office.